The Bitou 10 Education and Development Foundation works with the 10 government schools and 30 Early Childhood Development Sites (ECD) in the Bitou municipal district in the Western Cape to improve the quality of education in the area. Eight of the ten state schools and more than 25 ECD sites are located in disadvantaged communities - townships, rural and semi-rural areas surrounding Plettenberg Bay.
The Bitou 10 Foundation has developed several special programmes to address the challenges in our education system by working with the Western Cape Education Department (WCED), the Bitou schools and ECD sector, and other local non-profit organisations and child development specialists.
We provide the following services to Bitou schools and Early Childhood Development sites:
- Promote and support Early Childhood Development
- Support Literacy and Mathematics Development
- Promote and support E-Learning in the Bitou schools
- Provide occupational and other remedial therapy for children in the Foundation Phase
- Offer a developmental music and creative movement programme, Kindermusik, for children in Grade R & 1
- Offer professional development courses and workshops for teachers
- Facilitate training for Bitou school management teams and leadership development for school principals
- Offer developmental After-School Activities (dance, drama, music and art) at all Bitou schools